Tuesday, August 2, 2022

The Viking Run, Day 1- Amtrak from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA.

 


New Smyrna Beach, FL

It has begun. The day has finally arrived and I am in motion. I left home this morning at 1030 on a quick commute to Constant Aviation. I stopped in to say goodbye for now and departed there for the Amtrak Autotrain station in Sanford. For the last several days I don't think I could have paced the floor more or looked at my bike and gear trying to figure out if I had packed everything or put things in the proper order. Time will tell I suppose. I said goodbye to Whiskey (the dog) and walked out the door to the bike, which had been loaded up and packed for two days. Jacket, helmet and gloves on I pressed the starter and a commitment was made. A commitment between me and this machine that we will treat each other right for the next 39 days. I swore to do my part...the bike didn't say much. I pulled out of the driveway, it was sunny and hot. The weight of the bike seemed balanced and that was it, out of the neighborhood and down the road we went. 


Constant Aviation

About half way to Constant and I started to ruminate about the fact that I was finally in motion. On the bike, comfortable and beginning to feel at ease. Kentucky was a precursor to what lay ahead. And now finally, my brain is in travel mode. It's been planned, edited and re-planed. What's in the luggage and saddlebags is what I got. It's time to start checking boxes.


Amtrak Autotrain, Sanford, FL

So now, here I am on the train. The bike is back there somewhere and we are quite comfortably covering the miles to Lorton, Virginia. We are expected to arrive at 1000 tomorrow and at this moment, we just passed the Naval Air Station in JAX. The sun is shinning and its raining. I would expect that we will be crossing in to Georgia in the next half hour or so. The train is 3/4 of a mile long. There is just shy of 300 people on board. There are 197 cars and two motorcycles in the 21 train cars behind me. 

It's a great start!












No comments:

Post a Comment

The Viking Run, Day 33 - Wawa, Ontario

  It's been a week or so since my last entry. Multiple reasons for that. Several nights without available internet or too late to get on...