Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The Viking Run, Day 2 - Quantico, VA

 Are we off to a rocky start? (exhale) So last night, in the middle of the night as everyone was slumbering on the train, we hit a car that was crossing the tracks, Interesting thing about that is, no one knew. We spent two hours sitting still in the middle of the night, slept right through it. So no one was injured in the collision and the train was able to continue on, albeit two hours behind schedule. Which put us in to Lorton station at noon rather than 1000. This wouldn't be a problem as I'm not on a clock and it would allow me to not have to wait to check in to the hotel once disembarked and on the bike. Then I could leave bags at the room and change, then head over to the USMC museum. But au contraire mon frere; 45 minutes out from Lorton station I get an Instagram message that the museum is closed due to a county wide water outage. Yeah, so plans made for day one nixed. 


Middle of the night on the Autotrain

Ok, so hopefully the museum is open tomorrow. If so, it opens at 0900 and it's only a 45 minute ride up the road to my next hotel, so I should be able to take in a good portion of the museum, I could even stay through closing at 1700 I suppose. Not a horrible way to recover. 


USMC Museum Closure

So let's talk hotels for a second. I'm at the Ramada across the highway from the museum. It's ok, it's stay worthy, but not desirable. I didn't want to get back out on the road, traffic is also less than desirable, so I thought I'd order in some food. There is an advertisement on the hotel key card for a local pizza/pasta place and it said 10% off. I called and they said that was for the hotel employees, WTF? Ok so fine, I'll order anyway, we're on the phone already. Food arrives in 45 minutes as promised, and BANG, a long black hair in my fettuccine alfredo!! 

Tomorrow is a new day. It'll be better. Ummm...it is expected to rain though....







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Viking Run, Day 33 - Wawa, Ontario

  It's been a week or so since my last entry. Multiple reasons for that. Several nights without available internet or too late to get on...