Sunday, September 4, 2022

The Viking Run, Day 33 - Wawa, Ontario

 

It's been a week or so since my last entry. Multiple reasons for that. Several nights without available internet or too late to get one started or the fact this computer I bought sucks. 

Since my last post from Manic 5 in Quebec I have ridden some incredible roads. Hwy 389 from Manic 5 to Baie Comeau was an absolute roller coaster. With only a few sections of bumpy road it was just a great ride for about 130 miles. But then it came to an end, as well as the entire feeling of riding the Trans Lab Hwy and northern Quebec. As I pulled in to Baie Comeau the traffic and large commercial centers all began to appear. I probably saw more cars and people in a single city block than I had seen in the past week. Truth be told it was a little sad. I pushed on that day, making my way to Portneuf sur Mer where I would be expecting to spend the night in the tent at a campground. The weather forecast was calling for heavy rain that night through to the morning, so rather than deal with the tent I asked (via Google translate) if I could just sleep in the pavilion. They said "oui" and the bike and I stayed cozy and dry listening to the rain come down on the metal roof. 


The next days riding would be through spots of intense fog, light rain or sunny skies, depending on what side of a mountain i was on. I passed through half a dozen small villages nestled up against the Saint Lawrence river. One could almost imagine they were riding along the French Riviera. LAte in the day I crested one mountain in particular and off in the foggy distance was Quebec City. Once there I needed to get the big maintained immediately and then spend the next day exploring. 


I can't say enough about the people at Moto Vanier. Easily the nicest BMW dealership I have ever been in, they were incredibly friendly and took great care of me and the bike. They even gave the bike a very much needed bath to remove all of the mud and muck that had remained from the muddy hell in northern Quebec getting to Manic 5. After some chain maintenance and get the fluids service, plus plugging a hole from a nail we removed from the rear tire, they had me on my way.

The following day was meant for touring Quebec City and it did not disappoint. The city is stunning, nearly every direction you look. How can a town just over the border from the U.S. have such a European feel. In an area known as Le Petite Champlain, buildings that are centuries old now act as apartments, shops and restaurants with the regal Chateau Frontenac ruling over all from high above. I took a guided tour of the Citadel that is still an active military fortress housing the 22nd Regiment headquarters. Interesting tour to say the least and I learned some interesting history of the Quebecois. Taking in a fantastic dinner that evening and one or four glasses of wine, I took my final stroll through town as the sun was setting low. Quebec City was a winner. 


The following day I left Quebec City and trudged along the major highway towards Montreal. About an hour and a half on a wide four lane at highway speeds and I was ready to call it quits. At Trois Riviere I was finally able to get off the highway and head north west through farm country until I got in to the area where the hills and mountains took over and ski resorts were common place. I spent the night in a campground at Riviere Rouge  and the following night camping by a river...somewhere. The day after the river camp was a bit of a slog. I was lucky enough to break camp while it was still dry but once thirty minutes down the road the rain would commence. And it would stay raining for most of the day. The bike had the temp at 53 degrees and the rain itself had to have been colder than that. Neither of which is such an issue, but in driving cold rain, you can't see any scenery, you just concentrate on the road. 


The rain did break eventually, though it never warmed up. So with the rain dissipating I would cross the border in to my last Canadian province of this tour, Ontario. By days end I was in Timmins. A scheduled over night stop and all I can say for Timmins is...what a shit hole. 

After my night in Timmins, cloistered in my cozy AirBnB. I left this morning bound for Wawa. Yesterday was clouds and freezing rain and today was...perfection. Sunny, 60 and nary a cloud to be seen. Three and a half hours, much spent riding perfect twisty tarmac in solitude for miles on end. And then, Wawa and the goose. The cherry on top of a great days riding. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Viking Run, Day 33 - Wawa, Ontario

  It's been a week or so since my last entry. Multiple reasons for that. Several nights without available internet or too late to get on...