Thursday, March 10, 2022

The Viking Run - 143 Days to Departure

 

I picked up my bike from BMW Daytona last Saturday after having the water pump replaced due to a small internal leak. Its Bike Week this week in Daytona and other than spending last Monday walking around with my niece Ashley, it was rather boring.

BMW Motorcycles of Daytona


Bike week has really turned in to a Harley Davidson event and well...that just makes it suck.

Big news however is, I can not get a spot of the Relais Nordik cargo ship out of Blanc Sablon like I was hoping, so that has altered my plans dramatically. Something I was trying to avoid has now become inevitable. I will now be taking the Trans Labrador Highway to Baie-Comeau in Quebec. 

Aside from being called "The Loneliest Road In The World" and "The Most Dangerous Road in North America" and the fact the Canadian government issues you a satellite phone before you attempt it and the endless stories of people being eaten alive by black flies and mosquitoes, it sounds like great fun. Oh...did I forget to mention the bears and moose? Killer...moose!

The Trans Lab or TLH, is actually a very active route that is widely used by truck drivers and plenty of travelers and motorcyclists have traversed it to boot. As a matter of fact, by the time I get on it this September, it will likely be 100% paved. Which at it's opening in 1992 it was not. At a little less than 800 miles it may take up to five days to complete on the bike. The most nerve wreaking challenge I have before me in regards to the TLH, is the 260 mile stretch between Port Hope Simpson and Happy Valley where there will be no fuel available. Considering the furthest the 900XR can go on a full tank of gas is 200 miles, this creates either an insoluble math problem or a small logistics matter. 

So, Trans Labrador highway here I come... does Amazon sell bear repellent?




1 comment:

  1. I am very excited for you! Even more excited to know TLH will be paved by the time of your trip. The count down has begun. This is going to be one for the books!

    ReplyDelete

The Viking Run, Day 33 - Wawa, Ontario

  It's been a week or so since my last entry. Multiple reasons for that. Several nights without available internet or too late to get on...